Heidelberg traces its origins back to 1861, when Heinrich Ueckermann acquired part of the Farm Langlaagte and established a general dealer. Several years later, in 1865, he appointed T.W. Fannin as surveyor for a town development. This development was christened Heidelberg, in honour of Ueckermann’s alma mater in Germany, and so Heidelberg was established in 1866.
The First Anglo-Boer War, which lasted from 1880 to 1881, saw Heidelberg as the capital of the then Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek. When gold was discovered in 1886, the office of the Mining Commissioner was set up in the town. Heidelberg continued to grow with leaps and bounds to the lovely town it is today.
Heidelberg Business Chamber, initially known as the Heidelberg Chamber of Commerce and Business, was founded in 1984. In January 1990 the appellation was modified to Heidelberg Business Chamber; this change in title can be attributed to the South African Chambers of Commerce and Business’ (SACOB) transformation to the South African Chambers of Commerce and Industry (SACCI). Along with a brand-new name, the Chamber gained new momentum with the emphasis shifting to a service driven approach.
With easy access to the N3 highway, and only 40 minutes’ drive from O.R. Tambo International Airport, our lovely town is indeed situated in the heartland of South Africa. The superb location, high quality of life, safe, clean environment and excellent range of amenities that Heidelberg has to offer not only attracts major industries to Heidelberg, but also serves as a home base for many who daily commute to their place of work outside of Heidelberg. This has ensured that Heidelberg has an abundance of skills and an exceptional infrastructure. Boasting a rich agricultural district, various temples for all religious denominations, as well as medical facilities and recreational services, this town combines the luxuries of the “big city”with country living.
To find out more, download our brochure HERE.